Zehrensdorf Indian cemetery
These photographs were taken at a commemoration event on 1 August 2014. The municipality of the small town Zossen, the Evangelical Church, together with inhabitants and guests came together at the cemetery to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the beginning of the First World War.
Several hundred prisoners of war of African, Tatarian, Georgian, and South Asian origin who fought for the French, Russian, and British armies were buried during World War One at the Zehrensdorf Indian cemetery. Among them are 206 soldiers and sailors of the forces from undivided India who were prisoners of war in the nearby Halfmoon Camp in Wünsdorf, which today is an administrative part of the town of Zossen. The so called 'Indian Cemetry' is run today by the Commonwealth War Grave Commission (CWGC). From 1945 until 1990 the land on which the cemetery was built was under the control of the Russian Army. Restoration only began in 1990 and works were completed in 2000.